21.7.07

Fontenbleau Visit


My husband's Valentine's Day present to me was a necklace from Portugal and mine to him – a trip to the Fontenbleau forest 40 minutes away from Paris. He loves nature and outdoor activities so was very happy to escape from the city. Dinner at an expensive restaurant is not his idea of a romantic time together. There was also another occasion to celebrate – the Lithuanian Independence Day on the February 16th - so we joined a group of Lithuanians hiking in the forest. The day happened to be very warm for February so jackets were not necessary. We followed well-beaten paths across the forest until we reached the rocks which we climbed until we found a nice lookout point. As the dusk was falling, we made fire and prepared a pick-nick. After filling our stomachs and drinking strong Lithuanian liquor we sang various Lithuanian songs, flames reflecting on our faces. Going back in the dark was quite a test. One of the girls forgot her glasses and could see nothing in the dark and if this was not enough - she had blisters on her feet due to uncomfortable shoes. My husband, being used to helping out his teammates in multi-sport races, carried her on his shoulders. One of the guys from the group could not find his bike in the dark so the search was summoned until it was found eventually. Dying from fatigue, we walked to the train station to find out that the train has just left from Avon. Only my husband and I had a place to stay since that was a part of my present. Nevertheless, the Lithuanians are tough and do not get lost in situations like this - after debating hitchhiking the group managed to find a local man who put them up for a night for a good deal.

My husband and I separated from the group to relax at a local house in Avon where we enjoyed wine and cheese in our charming room which I rented by chance online from a lovely French couple. In the sunny morning, hearty breakfast consisting of coffee, fresh bread and croissants with jam awaited us. Our hostess was a good conversionist so it was interesting to find out more about her life and we were in no hurry to leave. My husband thought this escapade was a great present and I had to admit myself that disregarding the fatigue of the day before I was glad we did not have a usual fancy dinner in Paris to celebrate the Valentine's Day...

No comments: