5.7.07

The World Cup 2006

Watching the World Cup on TV in a bar in Paris was something that I have not experienced before. Since a national game in Lithuania is basketball, this is the only sport that I have been sometimes following. However, in Paris I was drawn into cheering during many games by supporting teams of my international friends. At first, the game seemed boring to me since I have been used to constant scoring in basketball but in the end I got into the spirit of soccer, especially enjoying the times when the French team scored and there were rowdy festivities in the streets.

The night of the final we watched the game with French friends so when Zidane was sent off in extra time for "head butt" and the French team lost I could not help but be disappointed like many French people. Instead of predicted celebration with crowds of French fans acting crazy in closed Champ de Elisees, there were only scattered fans walking with heads and flags down. It was possible to catch a glimpse of Italians with raised flags screaming from cars speeding by but they were too scared to celebrate openly.

No comments: