5.7.07

“Overrated” Mona Lisa

The first Sunday of the month is free to get in Louvre so I used an opportunity to see celebrated Mona Lisa for the first time. Waiting in a long line while strong sun was shining on us and struggling among other tourists to see Mona Lisa was not exactly a pleasant experience. It is difficult to understand why this small picture with a bad looking woman became so famous that some people even committed suicides over it! From a close up the picture does not look impressive. I started to feel that maybe I don't understand anything about art since I was getting this kind of impression on the art object that most of the world worships. After doing some research on internet, I found out that I am not the only one who thinks that Mona Lisa is overrated and there is even analysis done on how its reputation is blown out from proportion (Overrated Mona Lisa).

What was surprising to me was that there were many other beautiful and amazing pictures by famous artists right besides Mona Lisa which nobody even looked at. It was actually great not to be bothered and observe this art without being bothered. In other museums, people would fight to see these masterpieces but in Louvre there are so many valued pieces that they are left alone for one to enjoy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree, the Mona Lisa is so overrated. I do not consider myself not to 'understand' art just because I see nothing special in it. Art is all about asthetics and this one is not asthetically pleasing to me whatsoever.